Hidden gems, cool local product, and unique events happening in the Edmonton area!
The Local Love List is published every Friday. Be sure to pop back next week to see what’s on!
- Look what’s open! While out for a walk with the boys, we stumbled upon the brand new Brio Bakery in the Oliver Exchange Building (at the corner of 121 Street and 102 Ave). They specialize in fresh bread “made by hand, the traditional way, using just three ingredients: water, flour, and salt.” They also whip up croissants, brioche, pain de chocolat, Boston cream cruffins, and coffee, lattes, Americanos, etc. They’re open Wednesdays to Saturdays. Delicious!
Odd Company Brewing
- Right next door to Brio is Odd Company Brewing – a brewery and taproom that should be opening in the next couple of weeks. They’re just waiting on a few permits. Can’t wait to check it out!
- A magical plant loft above the Lucky Supermarket: who knew? Some hidden gems are in the most unexpected places! I discovered Botaniful while hunting for plants for our master bedroom revamp project (blog post coming soon on that). They just opened in December, and the couple that runs it is lovely. This stunning space offers tons of different plants, pots, candles, and other home goods. Be sure to sneak into their boho-chic side room and snap an Insta pic!
Kid’s Clothing Boutique
- Local Mom Lauren Hahn runs the online boutique Blush + Navy, curated with the cutest pieces for kids and mamas. This was a recent post from her Instagram. It may be the coolest toddler outfit I’ve ever seen. Shop here.
- I was fortunate enough to sample Kanu Cafe’s new plant-powered brunch menu at a small gathering last Sunday. The food is sooooo good, friends. You can check them out for every meal of the day, and they also serve up fabulous cocktails, smoothies, organic wine, and beer. Find them at the corner of Jasper and 108th.
- This is a fun hour-long activity to do with your kids (or longer if your sans kids!). We spent time at The Alberta Aviation Museum yesterday, gawking at all the cool vintage aircraft and learning about the history of Edmonton’s aviation community. The last Thursday of every month is Servus Free Access Night from 5-8 pm, where your entire admission fee is waived. They also have adorable wooden plane push carts for your kids (a big hit with Wyatt)!
- Patio season is coming…time to brush up on your cocktail making skills! YEG Date is hosting a cocktails class at El Cortez on April 3. Learn how to make three custom tequila cocktails and indulge in tacos and a tequila tasting. Get tickets here.
- Telus World of Science’s new Curious City is officially open! The new early childhood learning gallery is inspired by Edmonton, and mimics some of our city’s most prominent attractions such as the Muttart, the river valley, and Fort Edmonton Park. You can reserve your timed entry ticket on the TWOS website to guarantee your spot. Max capacity is 120.
Boutique Wedding Fair
- The prettiest boutique bridal fair is back! Local Love, which is an alternative to the bigger wedding fairs, takes place at the Royal Glenora tomorrow (March 29th) from 4-8pm. Tickets are only $15! In past, there have been lineups out the door to get in, so be sure to secure yours.
New At KariSkelton.Com
Time Saver: Canadian Home Cleaning App: In the third of my Time Saver Tuesday series, I’m sharing the details of a new Canadian cleaning app that simplifies enjoying a spotless home. Plus, a discount code for you to save on your first clean!
Read More Local Love Lists:
If you know of any hidden gems, cool local product, or unique events happening in the Edmonton area, please email me.