Hidden gems, cool local product, and unique events happening in the Edmonton area! Scroll down to see what made your Local Love List this week!
The Local Love List is published every Friday. Be sure to pop back next week to see what’s up!
- I want to create an event just so I can rent this stuff! I scrolled upon a rentals company that offers vintage items. Everything from stunning couches, chairs, rugs, vases, etc. Check out Something Borrowed here!
- My friend, Designer Justine Ma, just launched this cool 8×10 Edmonton print in her online shop. I ordered one with plans to put it in a pink frame. 🙂 Get in here or at The Royal Bison craft fair on May 10-12.
Art on the Block
- Considered one of the ‘it’ events to be it – Art on the Block is coming up Friday, May 24. It’s an annual silent auction and gala–taking place at the Art Gallery of Alberta. Every ticket purchased and successful bid on artwork helps support AGA exhibitions, educational programming, and community outreach. Get yours here!
Family Art Time
- You can pop into the AGA on Saturday mornings for Family Studio. Drop in to make some art with your kids between 10-11:30 a.m. All supplies included in your $15 fee. You’re encouraged to register early as space fills up quickly! Do so here.
Creative Writing Camp
- Camp for kids to love to write about anything! YouthWrite, a non-profit, charitable arts organization hosts the camps throughout the year in unique locations. More here. Here are a few upcoming options:
River Valley Experience Daycamp – for ages 8-11 at the Bennett Centre, Edmonton – July 1-5, 2019
Peak I Experience – for ages 12-14 at Kamp Kiwanis near Bragg Creek, AB – June 30-July 5, 2019
Peak II Experience – for ages 15-19 at Kamp Kiwanis near Bragg Creek, AB – July 7 – 12, 2019
- If you’re a local maker, this is a big business booster! Edmonton Made is officially accepting submissions for its 2019 Gifted catalogue. The annual publications showcases Edmonton’s very own products. Everything from clothing, housewares, kid’s stuff, food, jewelry, and more. The submissions will be reviewed by a panel who will narrow the selections down to 100. Go here to read up on eligibility criteria. The submission deadline is next Tuesday, April 30, 2019.
Mom Day Workshop
- This would be such a fun addition to your Mother’s Day weekend! The team over at Cory Christopher is hosting a For Mom Fresh Floral Workshop at the fabulous Birchwood Meadows studio. Cory and his team will guide you in creating a stunning spring bouquet. It goes down Saturday, May 11 (the day before Mom’s Day) with two sessions. Book in here.
Delicious Bath Truffles
- These are fan favourite among friends of KariSkelton.com! The Pink Lemonade Bath Truffles by Tiny Treats Soap Co. smell ridiculously good and come in an adorable little gold-lined box. Shop them here.
Cactus and Beers
- This fun night out with friends, presented by Yeg Date! At the Cactus and Beers Workshop, you’ll put together a trio of mini cactuses and succulents in three plant pots you’ll design, all while working your way through a beer flight and some snacks. The event goes down Wednesday, May 8 at SYC Brewing. Tickets here.
- Just got these puppies in the mail from one of my favourite jewelry companies, Twig and Velvet. This locally owned, mama-run shop creates such beautiful, unique pieces. Check out the full line here and watch my Instagram next week for a giveaway!
New At KariSkelton.com
Seven Simple Ways To Help Save The Planet: Unique go-green products, methods for eliminating food waste, and working with a smaller wardrobe. Read up on a few ways we’ve become more environmentally friendly. Plus, a discount code to shop some of these items!
Read More Local Love Lists:
If you know of any hidden gems, cool local product, or unique events happening in the Edmonton area that may be a fit for the Local Love List? Please email me!