Hidden gems, cool local product, and unique events happening in the Edmonton area! Scroll down to see what made your Local Love List this week!
The Local Love List is published every Friday. Be sure to pop back next week to see what’s up!
- More details were unveiled this week about the new hotel going in on 104th Street. Montreal’s Groupe Germain (Le Germain Hotel in Calgary, along with several others) is developing the 35-story Mackenzie Tower just next to The Blue Plate Diner. Proposed are 136 condo units on top, a swanky boutique hotel below, with a restaurant on the ground floor. The company hosted a VIP grand opening and presale earlier this week to show off its floor plans. Read all about The Mackenzie Building here.
New Brewery + Taproom
- Odd Company Brewing is officially opened in The Oliver Exchange Building (#105 12021 102 Ave)! Expect a rotating line up of experimental beers, along with food, cocktails and wine. Check them out here.
Mother’s Day Flowers
- You’ll be scoring extra points with this gift that keeps on giving! With Cory Christopher’s Mother’s Day Peony Subscription, mom will receive a bundle of beautiful peonies three weeks in a row! You can gift her one bundle with two more to come on May 17th and 24th or gift her the three-week subscription with delivery or pickup May 10, 17, and 24th. All the details here!
Handbags For a Cause
- A fun event is coming up to raise money for Stars Air Ambulance. Pursenal Mission aims to raise funds through a silent auction of high-end handbags. The event will be held at The Royal Glenora Club on Sunday, May 26 from 1-4pm. Your $75 ticket includes a drink, food, and a swag bag worth over $100! !If you’re unable to make it, they are still in need of purse donations – so that’s one way you can help out. More info here. I’ll be giving away two tickets to the event on my Instagram story next week!
Podcast Live Show
- The super-popular Sick Boy Podcast is coming to Edmonton! Tickets to the live show at The Foundry Room on May 15 can be found here. Created by three friends (one of whom has Cystic Fibrosis), the podcast aims to breakdown the stigma around illness and disease with humour, and by simply talking about it. Check them out on Insta here.
- I’ve partnered with Canadian jewelry line Twig and Velvet to gift one lucky person a $100 shop credit at TwigandVelvet.com! Deadline to enter is this Sunday. Get in on the contest here. View the line here!
Music For Kids
- If you’re searching for a music program for your kid be sure to check out Music Box Babies and Wee Ones at The Winspear. The next Wee Ones class is May 31 and Music Box Babies starts on May 12. The Winspear also hosts family symphony nights! The next one is coming up on June 8. I will have a four-pack of tickets to giveaway later this month!
- Remember to always visit my Discount Codes page to score deals while shopping our favourite brands! This page is updated on the regular with new discounts so be sure to check back!
- I’m constantly impressed by our local photography community and the new ways they’re connecting with clients. I recently discovered Housestories Canada which aims to capture an intimate perspective of a family’s life through documenting the familiar details on their home. Those little things like the way the light shines through a bedroom window or a cool pattern of kitchen tile. The things – if you renovated or moved – you wouldn’t want to ever forget. Connect with the Housestories Canada team here.
- Shop, drink, and dance at The Midnight Market at Polar Park Brewing on Friday, May 10. Tour the new brewery (10416 80 Ave) and shop local makers goods all while enjoying a live DJ. Get tickets here.
New At KariSkelton.com
Top Five Plant-Based Restaurants in Edmonton: More and more plant-based restaurants and cafes are popping up in Edmonton, and we couldn’t be happier about it! Like many of you, we’re trying to incorporate more vegetarian options into our family meal plans. That includes dining out and ordering in. Here are five spots you need to check out!
Love Your Booty: My Experience With Velashape: My booty and I have been on quite the journey together. I’ve learned to love my lady lumps, and recently treated my behind to a little pick-me-up! Here’s my experience with Velashape.
Pin this to your Travel Alberta and Explore Edmonton boards and don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest here!
Read More Local Love Lists:
If you know of any hidden gems, cool local product, or unique events happening in the Edmonton area that may be a fit for the Local Love List? Please email me!