Hidden gems, cool local products, and unique events happening in the Edmonton area.
Scroll down to see what made your Local Love List this week!
The Local Love List is published every Friday. Be sure to pop back next week to see what’s up!
The Baker’s Son
- The family behind The Art of Cake just opened a second location downtown called The Baker’s Son. Fitting as the cafe is run by Jeremy Hess, the son of Gloria Bednarz and Guenter Hess who own The Art of Cake. Find The Baker’s Son at 10155 120 Street (in the Allin Clinic building). They’re opened Monday – Friday from 8-5pm.
‘Be Kind’ Sweaters
- They’ve arrived and they’re amazing! Mini Street Kids Wear teamed up with my friend Justine Ma to create these ultra soft, extremely comfy ‘Be Kind’ twinning sweatshirts. $20 from every adult and $10 from every kid size go to Kindness Clubs in Edmonton! You can buy your online here or at the Nest and the City Market on this weekend (more details below)!
Nest in the City
- This modern lifestyle market showcases the best in home decor, photography, and mom, baby, and kids stuff. Nest and The City is on this Sunday, June 9 from 10-4pm at The Holiday Inn Edmonton South on Ellerslie Road. This is such a fun afternoon out with a mom friend. You can shop, take in a few workshops, listen to live music, and pop into the mini-photo sessions!
Blue Plate Moving
- Looks like Blue Plate Diner is leaving 104th Street. The doors to the cozy restaurant filled with character will officially close on June 30th. Blue Plate has occupied the space at 10145 104th Street for the past 15 years. That building will soon be torn down to make way for the 34 Story Mackenzie Tower hotel and condos. The good news is Blue Plate will open somewhere else in mid-July! No word yet on where that will be. All we know is it will be somewhere central.
Apple Bacon Waffles
- We dove right into a plate of the most delicious dessert/brunch ever earlier this week! You’ll find the Apple & Bacon Waffle – a classic waffle topped with turkey bacon, fresh apple slices, French Vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, and melted white chocolate – at Cacao 70 Sweet House in the Bell Tower (Ice District). The adorable cafe serves chocolate drinks, desserts, and all-day brunch.
Kid’s Bowl Free
- Your kids can bowl for free this summer! The Kids Bowl Free program runs at select bowling alleys across the country – including two in Edmonton – Bonnie Doon Bowling Lanes and Gateway Entertainment Centre. Your kids (age 2-12) can bowl two free games a day – all summer long! You’ll just have to pay for the shoe rental. The goal of the program is to give bowling centres the opportunity to give back to the community and provide a safe and fun way for kids to spend time this summer. Sign up here.
- Our favourite pet shop, Fox and Tux Boutique is celebrating its third birthday with an ‘InstaFamous’ party tomorrow (Saturday, June 8)! Shop a ton of fun, local accessories for your pet, Farm Fresh treats will be handing out samples to all pups attending, and you get a free gift with your purchase. Plus a whole bunch of other incentives, and giveaways! All pets will get a Polaroid snap of themselves to take home. 🙂
Kind Ice Cream
- Kind Ice Cream officially opens its doors next Wednesday, June 12! The small batch ice cream shop is right across from The Ritchie Market. Pop in with friends after dinner, or pick up delicious pints and ice cream sandwiches to bring home! They’ll be serving up dairy and vegan scoops, pints, and sandwiches, all made with real ingredients sourced as locally as possible.
Make A Welcome Mat
- Whip of a fun mat for your front door! Mommy Connections Leduc is hosting this fun night out (everyone welcome – not just moms). Goes down next Tuesday, June 11 at The Canadian Brewhouse in Leduc, with two time slots available: 6:30-8:30 or 9-11pm. Your $60 ticket includes all the materials and instructions to make your mat. More details here.
Water Lantern Festival
- This sounds absolutely magical! The Water Lantern Festival will go down the evening of August 31 at Rundle Park. When the sun everyone in attendance will set their lantern on the water as a sign of hope and happiness. There will be food trucks and music too. What a unique night out! Get tickets here.
- Wine, treats, and amazing art! Award-winning artist Samantha Williams-Chapelsky has a solo show at Creative Hive on June 15. Explore her dramatic textural representations of the western landscapes – from the prairies to the mountains and take in a day of art. This is a ticketed event – though tickets are free – you must have one to get in!
Freson Bros Kids Table
- Love this! Freson Brothers Fresh Market has a Kid’s Table with fresh fruit to keep your little one happy during the shop. You donate a coin or two to get a piece, with all proceeds to Alberta charities.
New At KariSkelton.com
Teaching Kids How To Garden: How to set-up a garden for your kids, ways your little ones can help in your garden, cool tools, and the best gardening books for kids!
Read More Local Love Lists:
If you know of any hidden gems, cool local product, or unique events happening in the Edmonton area that may be a fit for the Local Love List? Please email me!