Hidden gems, cool local products, and unique events happening in the Edmonton area.
Scroll down to see what made your Local Love List this week!
The Local Love List is published every Friday. Be sure to pop back next week to see what’s up!
- How cool is this: your kids can learn how to build and take care of a spooky terrarium! Glass Earth in Kingsway Mall is hosting a DIY workshop right on Halloween night, so you can bring your little ones to trick or treat at the mall before their creative adventure. All supplies are included in the workshop. Go here for more.
Get Freaked Out
- Experience three horrifying attractions at Dark, running at Fort Edmonton Park tomorrow (Saturday, October 26). Nestled in Edmonton’s River Valley, this live-action thriller promises to absolutely terrify you! Tickets range from $40-$70, and it’s cheaper to get them online ahead of time. Go here.
You could also check out Edmonton’s freakiest haunted house this weekend. Deadmonton is on at 7031 Gateway Blvd until November 3rd. I’ve been told this one is a must-experience (if Halloween is your thing). Book your spot online here.
New Event Space
- A new studio and event space is coming to St.Albert…and it’s amazing! The Ellis was founded by Maria Leslie (who runs Simply Maria Rentals – a furniture and decor rental company) and Nicole McLean (a local lifestyle photographer). The official opening is next month, but you can book your office Christmas party, workshop, or photography session now. Go here to do so.
- The Nook Cafe runs an excellent program to help the vulnerable in our community. In the Suspended Coffee program, you purchase a white button for three dollars, which allows those who need it to get a hot beverage and a snack on the house, as well as share in the space with other patrons. The cafe has served over 14,500 people in the program over the last two years. They really need donations right now, as they’ve been funding the project themselves as of late. Buttons can be purchased at the cafe and through e-transfers. Go here to donate!
Chefs + Art
- Vignettes Design Series is still open downtown on 104th. Tomorrow, you can participate in a chef-led cooking class while you’re there! The cooking and dine-in workshop with local celebrity chefs includes a wine pairing and your meal. There are two class times available: 6-7:30pm and 8-9:30pm. Get your tickets here!
Unique Book Shop
- Glass Bookshop is now open in Edmonton City Centre Mall West. This pretty little space focuses on Canadian writing and independent publishers with special attention paid to LGBTQ2SIA and IBPOC writers. Check them out here!
Discount Codes To Shop
Make sure you bookmark this page for shopping discounts! Any discount codes for shopping some of my favourite brands will always be updated here.
Christmas Card Photos
- My friend, local photographer Dallas Curow, has just opened up her winter mini sessions. It’s a 25-minute photoshoot at her beautiful studio in central-west Edmonton for up to six people (and your pet). We did this last year, and it was awesome! You get five beautiful images to be used for Christmas cards or whatever you would like! Book your spot here.
- Set your alarms! A restock of Justine Ma’s custom ceramic holiday ornaments is coming up October 29th. Such a nice gift and holiday treasure. We had one made for Wyatt’s first Christmas several years ago and it’s a piece we cherish so much. Go here for more.
Pet Portrait Contest
- Custom Watercolour Pet Portraits Giveaway! I’ve teamed up with Peak Paper Co’s Brittany, a watercolour and calligraphy artist based in Edmonton, to give one lucky person a custom 5×7″ watercolour pet portrait of their dog or cat (just in time for Christmas)! Head to this post on my Instagram to enter. Contest closes on Sunday, October 27 at 11:59 MST.
New At KariSkelton.com
How To Be Comfy in Business Wear: You can still look professional and be incredibly cozy at the same time. Here are a few tips on how to be comfy in business wear, along with links to shop my outfit (including this super-soft coat)!
Do you know of any hidden gems, cool local product, or unique events happening in the Edmonton area that may be a fit for the Local Love List? Please email me!