Hidden gems, cool local product, and unique events in the Edmonton area.
Here’s what’s on your Local Love List this week!
The Local Love List is published the first Friday of every month at KariSkelton.com! Thank you for continuing to read my blog and support my small business!
John’s Giant Bubbles
- So happy to have found John’s Giant Bubbles! Nine-year-old John has been running his business, making special wands that create huge bubbles (he makes the solution too) since he was six. Two jars for $15, three jars for $20, six jars for $30, or one bucket for $30. Each jar comes with one wand and the bucket comes with two. They deliver once a week for a $5 fee. Get your bubbles here!
River Valley Swings
- There’s a new river valley swing to check out! You’ll find it in Floden Park at 4209 111 Ave. All the details here. The other is a bit tougher to get to – just off the Highlands golf course near the Capilano bridge. Check it out here.
- Update: the Capilano swing is broken! Hopefully, it’s fixed soon. I’ll keep you posted.
New French Cafe
- A beautiful new traditional French cafe with pastry and breads is now open in Garneau. Eleanor and Laurent runs Thursday’s through Sunday’s (more days to come) from 9-5. Find them 10926 88 ave (right beside Sugarbowl).
- The City has opened some of its spray parks for the summer. 23 around Edmonton are now ready to go and more will open in the coming weeks. Get the full list here.
- If you’ve never scrolled through Chartier’s Instagram account, do yourself a favour. Pure food porn. This rustic French-Canadian restaurant in Beaumont has opened up bookings for private dining. The two-hour experience with five-six courses is limited to six guests. Book in here. Chartier also does curbside pickup and has a takeout window (you can eat on the patio or dog-friendly green space in the back lot).
- Fun date night idea! Enjoy a gourmet picnic box for two in the evening hours at the UofA Botanic Garden. There are also options to enhance the experience with add-ons like blankets, flowers, and personalized cards. Book in here.
- Telus World of Science will reopen its doors on Wednesday, July 8. That includes the new exhibit of the summer: The Science of Ripleys Believe it Or Not. See the TWOSE COVID protocols here.They’re also offering virtual summer camps for kids. Get in on that here.
- The Pierogerie has a fun little project for you to do at home. These easy-to-make pierogi kits come with everything you need to make homemade pierogies. Available for pickup at the 124 Street Market and Old Strathcona Farmer’s Market.
Be sure to check out the special editions:
Local Love List: How To Help Small Shops Now (published March 20, 2020)
New At KariSkelton.com
Delicious + Simple Nectarine Salad With Proscuitto: Get the recipe here.
To DIY Or Not To DIY: Refinishing Hardwood Floors: Read and see before and after photos here.
Most Delicious Wild Turkey Cocktail: Get the recipe here.
Do you know of any hidden gems or cool local product happening in the Edmonton area that may be a fit for the Local Love List? Please email me!