Hidden gems, cool local products, and unique events in the Edmonton area.
Here’s what’s on your Local Love List this week!
The Local Love List is published the first Friday of every month at KariSkelton.com.
Thank you for continuing to read my blog, and supporting my small business!
Winter Patio Season Is On
- COVID protocols mean local businesses are taking it to the next level with their creativity. Several restaurants are setting up winter patios this year, including Boxer Kitchen + Bar. This is the first mention of this place in the Local Love List, because I just found out about them! They just opened up two geodomes for dining outside. Check out the seven others on my list off The Best Winter Patios in Edmonton!
Say ‘No’ To Boring Music Lessons
- Backbeat is the coolest kids’ music studio in town. Our little guy has been going there for a couple of years, and he absolutely LOVES it! They just opened up their winter sessions for Bigger Beats (5-7-year-olds). Classes kick off January 11th, and run for ten weeks. Bigger Beats – available in drums, keyboard, and ukulele, is designed to help your kid identify what their favourite instrument is. They’re limiting classes to four kids due to COVID, so as you can imagine, it sells out quickly! Sign up here!
- Our friends at Clo’s General Leather Goods have launched a new initiative called Last Aprons. They’re completely custom aprons…and they’re gorgeous. Take a peek here.
- Artist Stephanie Simpson creates the coolest set of four magnets featuring Edmonton landmarks! In each pack: the Legislature, Hotel Macdonald, Muttart Conservatory, and Royal Alberta Museum. Shop them here.
- 42 local creatives make up the Indigenous Artisans Market Collective. Check them out on Facebook and Instagram and find them every weekend at The Downtown Farmer’s Market!
- Why be boring with your mask? These sparkly options from The Lab Studio in south Edmonton are selling like hotcakes. Call the shop to put in your order!
Winter Wonder Forest
- A brand new drive-thru Christmas lights experience! The Winter Wonder Forest kicks off later this month at Snow Valley. 15,000 sq feet of the campground will be transformed into a holiday light display you can enjoy from the warmth of your vehicle. Car passes are $30 and time slots are booked by the half-hour. All the details here.
Plus Size Thrift Shop
- The remarkable owners of Chubby Fem Thrift hosted Takeover Tuesday on my Instagram Stories this week! Spencer and London started the plus-size thrift shop online at the start of the pandemic. Check them out here!
DIY Holiday Planters
- Doing your own planters this year? Cory Christopher has some greenery bundles to get you started. Shop here.
Vegan Hair Clips
- Marie and Me recently came out with beautiful vegan leather and cotton snap hair clips. You’ll find a few of their bowties around our house – we love their style! Support local and shop them here.
- Elles Closet Boutique Fall Box is so pretty! You get a Teddy Bear coat in pink or cream, pom toque, a beautiful candle, dry/wet bag, Elles keychain, and a gorgeous eLisasz and Ella bracelet. Only a handful left. Shop here.
Taste of Home Gala
- The Taste of Home Gala is the biggest fundraiser of the year for The Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alberta. They obviously can’t host it in person this year, due to COVID. Instead, they’re going virtual with the event, including amazing meals you can enjoy from your home! This is a fantastic way for you to support a local cause, help families in need, and have a fun night in! Get all the details here. You can also bid on silent auction items online to support the House. That will go LIVE through this link.
Colouring Cookies Advent
- Colouring and eating a sugar cookie a day until Christmas. Mmmm…K! Sweetness just launched it’s Colouring Cookie Calendar. Each door opens up to a differently designed holiday-themed mini colouring cookie! Colour using the included five *NEW* Sweetness mini edible ink markers. Shop and ship this to a friend here.
New At KariSkelton.com:
All the photos, the details, and the drama that came with this year’s family Halloween costume reveal!
I’ve also included some quick DIY’s for all our costumes! Check it out here.
The best tips from a Certified Sleep Consultant on how to help your kids through Daylight Savings Time. Save this one for Spring Forward and get advice that will help you throughout the rest of the year. Read it here.
I whipped up a Blood Orange Lambrusco Spritz for Halloween festivities, but this is delicious any time of the year! Get the recipe here.