Hidden gems, cool local products, and unique events in the Edmonton area.
Here’s what’s on your Local Love List this week!
The Local Love List is published the first Friday of every month at KariSkelton.com.
Thank you for continuing to read my blog, and supporting my small business!
Prairie Noodle Closing
- One of the best ramen shops in the city is shutting down, due in part to the pandemic fallout. I’m sad to hear Prairie Noodle’s last day will be October 24th!
“We’ve tried to come up with other options but we’re too small to comfortably open up to sit down service (which wouldn’t help as we’d be able to seat maybe eight people safely). It was a tough decision, but we feel the right one considering the uncertainty ahead.”
3D Sidewalk Art
- Do yourself a favour and go follow Alixandra Jade Art & Design Co on Instagram! The uber-talented Muralist and Designer created this super cool 3D street chalk art near Otto restaurant.
New Instagrammable Wall
- Alixandra Jade also created a few new murals (including this one) on the new Manchester Square on 107th Ave and 120th Street. Several totally Instagrammable spots for you! See the rest here.
- Also in Manchester Square is Arcadia Brewing (formerly of 124th Street). They’re getting set to open their brand new brewery later this fall, with a couple flagship beers already available in liquor stores. We can’t wait!
Custom Synthetic Pumpkins
- We love these amazing pumpkins designed by Expert Pumpkin Carver Natasha Guindon! She carves custom designs (even your business logo!) into synthetic pumpkins that last forever. Remember the Toy Story ones she did for us last year?! Check out her other designs here.
- If you want real pumpkins, Birchwood Meadows has a solid selection! Pastel, bright orange, white, and gnarly – you name it, they have it! Pop on out – contact info here.
- Chef Paul Shufelt has opened another Woodshed Burgers – this one on the southside in Ellerslie. Find it at 2307 Ellwood Drive. Early reviews indicate Chef Shufelt managed to recreate the magic from their first location on 124th Street!
Gorgeous Fall Photos
- Here’s a great way to get some professional family photos for less than you would typically pay. Photographer Dallas Curow, who shoots the majority of the images for KariSkelton.com, has opened up her Fall Mini Sessions! A 15-minute shoot, with 15 images, goes for $250. She has openings from now until November. Get all the details and book in here.
The Quilt Bag
- The Quilt Bag, an LGBTQ+ retail shop “carrying queer & trans wares,” is moving to The Grow Centre co-working space on Whyte Ave. They will be back up and running in a couple of weeks, but in the meantime, you can shop and support them online. The Quilt Bag owners Parker and Rebecca hosted Takeover Tuesday on my Instagram last week. Watch it here!
New Market on 124
- Tiramisu Bistro has revamped its private party room into a beautiful market! At the Lift Me Up Market, you can pick up bread, eggs, cheese, organic vegetables, fresh floral bouquets, and you can even grab growlers of Alley Kat Beer while you’re there! Head to the small take-out window facing 124th Street, or pop on in. More here.
Fresh New Workout
- If you’re looking to switch up your workout regime, be sure to check out Socafit! Owner Cherelle George hosted this week’s Takeover Tuesday (video uploaded soon)! You can take the high-energy Caribbean dance and fitness classes online or outdoors. Check them out here.
“…we are here to bring people of different backgrounds together, to lift spirits, and to empower people through movement. We don’t want you to think of it as just a dance class or just a workout class …think of it as a form of therapy…Soca Therapy.”
Gorgeous Paint Pallete
- Be sure to check out local shop Sarah Bee Pottery for beautiful handmade paint pallete and pottery!
Support With Cinnamon Buns
- The non-profit Millwoods Seniors Association typically features a great cafe, which is unfortunately shut down because of COVID. They’re now doing quality lunch to-go and curbside cinnamon buns on Thursdays. Show your support here!yy`
Read more Local Love Lists here!
Do you know of any hidden gems or cool local product happening in the Edmonton area that may be a fit for the Local Love List? Please email me!
New at KariSkelton.com:
Here’s a super-chill Fall Fun List I created to help you really embrace the season! Recipes, activities, and moments to share. You can work your way through the list with us! Find a FREE Fall Fun printable and all the details here.
A fun way to style your cocktail cart for fall! Vintage glassware, a gold cocktail set, fairy lights, and more. Check it out here.
Caramelized Brussel Sprouts With Bacon! Make sure to add this to your Thanksgiving menu! This dish is beyond delicious! Get the recipe here.
Here’s how to create your work-from-home haven: how I squeezed an office into our 1913 home, tips for setting up a space that brings joy, and inspiration from three additional home workspaces featuring friends of mine! Go here to check it out!