Hidden gems, cool local product, and unique events happening in the Edmonton area! Keeping scrolling to see what’s on your Local Love List this week!
Blogger Charity Closet Sale
- Shop mine and Wyatt’s closet for a great cause! I’m co-hosting the first Blogger Charity Closet Sale next Saturday, March 9 from 2-6pm at Xtend Barre Edmonton (7927 104 Street). You’ll be able to shop pre-loved women’s and kid’s clothing from myself and a few of my other blogger friends with proceeds from ticket sales to Suit Yourself – a not-for-profit organization that collects and distributes high-quality professional clothing to disadvantaged women seeking employment. Tickets are $10 at the door or $5 if you bring a clothing donation for Suit Yourself (read guidelines here). Bring cash as not all tables will have debit or credit available.
- We had a ridiculously fabulous sandwich the other day from Zwick’s Pretzels. I don’t even want to know how many calories are in this puppy. The McZwick is warm roasted chicken, candied bacon, mozzarella, and paprika aioli on a pretzel bun. Check out Zwick’s at 12415 107 Ave.
- Edmonton’s only multidisciplinary theatre and arts festival featuring women starts soon! SkirtsAfire runs from March 7-17 and includes theatre, music, visual art, dance, spoken word, comedy, yoga, and more. Festival events are by donation at the door. There are several main shows and events you can attend as well. I’ve got my eye on’Mimosa Matinee’ where popcorn and a drink is included with your ticket. Details here.
Ice Cream Kickstarter
- This may be the best Kickstarter reward ever: ICE CREAM!! Kind Small Batch Ice Cream is setting up shop right across from The Ritchie Market this spring and they need some help to make it amazing. They just launched their Kickstarter campaign today with incentives from six scoops on the house to inventing your own flavour (with their in-house chef) to go on the menu AND you get to take home 12 pints! Make this happen for the Ritchie community here.
More Women in Politics
- I’m all about this organization! ParityYEG, a local multi-partisan group dedicated to electing more women to public office, has an event coming up next Saturday, March 9 called “Campaign Training for Newbies”. It features an incredible line-up of speakers and facilitators hoping to empower more women to take leadership roles in politics and public office. Find all the details here.
- The Bamboo Ballroom has launched a cool new way to recycle your clothes. The Second Chance program allows you to bring back pre-loved clothes purchased in past at Bamboo and get 25% of what you paid. Use that cash to shop the Second Chance section of the store or the new stuff in stock! Feel good shopping at it’s finest, my friends. Read all the details here. Don’t forget to use my code Kari20 for 20% off your entire purchase!
Be Kind Sweater
- My good friend Justine Ma (and her adorable daughter Ruby) have teamed up with Mini Street Kids Wear on these awesome, super snuggly ‘Be Kind’ sweatshirts. $10 of each kids top and $20 of each adult top will go to the Kindness Club at Grovenor School in Edmonton! They come in pink or black. Get yours here.
Babes Who Brunch Recap
- There is something about being in a room full of go-getter women that is electric! Nothing but great vibes at last weekend’s Babes Who Brunch event at the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald. I will share all the photos and details from my speech in my recap coming out next Thursday right here at KariSkelton.com. The next round features Justine Martinson, Owner of Lipstick Empire. Get tickets here!
- Only a few weeks left to take advantage of my Endy mattress discount code. If you’re thinking about upgrading your mattress, try Endy and be sure to use the code Kari50 for $50 off your mattress purchase (shop here). You can read our 100-Night Trial review here.
New at KariSkelton.com
Easy + Adorable Snowman Craft: So, your kid’s not into arts and crafts. This easy and adorable snowman project might be the one to convert them into a craft lover! Follow this simple how-to, and find ideas and resources to turn this into a full-blown winter-themed activity.
DIY Snowflake Stamps: These are super simple to make, and will add that something extra to your winter-themed crafts!
Read More Local Love Lists:
If you know of any hidden gems, cool local product, or unique events happening in the Edmonton area, please email me.