Hidden gems, cool local products, and unique events in the Edmonton area.
Here’s what’s on your Local Love List this week!
The Local Love List is published the first Friday of every month at KariSkelton.com.
Thank you for continuing to read my blog, and supporting my small business!
Indigenous Experiences in Edmonton
- As we recognize Indigenous History Month, here are several Indigenous experiences you can take in, right here in Edmonton.
- A great way to connect with our city’s past, present, and future. Visit beautiful art installations and gardens through Explore Edmonton’s Indigenous Landmarks guide. Get it here.
- 42 local creatives make up the Indigenous Artisans Market Collective. Check them out on Facebook and Instagram and find them every weekend at The Downtown Farmer’s Market!
Unique Outdoor Venue
- A truly innovative venue is set to open just east of Roger’s Place. The Backyard is a year-round outdoor space at 104th Ave and 101 Street, centred around three sea-cans covered in street art and can be transformed to accommodate all sorts of events and activities. The idea is for people to gather outdoors and enjoy all things local – from food trucks on-site to locally-made beer, coffee, and Kombucha. Event plans include outdoor yoga, concerts, weddings, and more. Check it out here. Sounds like a grand opening will be happening pretty soon!
We believe that supporting local is more than a statement, it’s a lifestyle. The Backyard brings the community together, year-round, through music & entertainment, art & design, local flavours and health & wellness events.
- Get your sweat on outside with X-Therapy’s brand new space: The Rooftop! Located on the Zebra Parkade LVL 5 (10048 103 Street), which is right across from their studio space. You can take in a spin or HIIT class in the beautiful summer sunshine! They will most likely be open on June 10 (as part of phase two). Check them out here!
- Root 107 is a colourful, inclusive public space filled with local mural art, greenery, and seating from recycled material in the heart of downtown – 107th St. between Jasper and 101 Ave. It’s dog-friendly and food trucks are set up on select nights (see the schedule here). Sounds like a nice way to spend a summer evening! Check it out here.
Ice Cream Sandwiches!
- Lulu Cookies is at it again! This time with the most beautiful ice cream sandwiches. They come dipped in milk, dark, or white chocolate with a touch of edible gold and florals. Order yours here.
- The Black Bookshelf Project is a new community started by three local biracial moms with the goal of helping diversify kid’s libraries. “The mission of The Black Bookshelf Project (TBBP) is to provide our diverse and vibrant communities with easy access to anti-racism resources that focus on the joy, pride, and rich cultural backgrounds of Black people, Indigenous people, and people of colour; helping underline commonalities of the human experience”. Read more about it here.
- Make sure to pop down to Arcadia Brewing Co. for a truly good vibes patio experience! The patio centres around a big, beautiful water fountain right in Manchester Square. Great food, locally-brewed beer, and more! Click here for the COVID details.
- We’ve all seen the e-scooters around the city but this sounds like something a little different. With Yeg Scoot you can create your own adventure or have a local guide customize an experience for you. All on a rented-out high perfomace e-scooter! Choose from a few pre-planned packages including ‘YEG Night’s Experience”, “River Valley With Food”, and more. Check them out here.
Pizza For Pride Tape
- Pick up a ‘Jespo’s Best Summer Ever’ Pizza at Mercer Tavern this month, with a portion of proceeds going to Pride Tape –a movement aimed at making hockey more inclusive and showing support to young LGBTQ+ players. Order your pizza here!
Pride Month Ice Cream
- Kind Ice Cream has brought back their ‘Gay OK’ flavour for the month of June and $1 from each pint sold goes to local LGBTQ2SIA+ organizations Chew Project Edmonton 2 Spirit Society. Pick up a pint today! More details here.
Birthday Party Craft Kits
- Cute idea for a kid’s birthday party! Made Social is out with Birthday Party Craft Kits. Each kit comes with custom-designed acrylic names for up to six people and includes plastic needles, yarn colours of your choice, written instructions, as well as a link to video tutorials. Check them out here.
New At KariSkelton.com
Fun White Sneakers For Summer: White sneaks go with so much! I’ve rounded up my favourite fun white sneakers for summer – some with a tiny dash of colour or print for added interest. I like to wear mine with jeans, denim shorts or a pretty summer dress. Check it out here!
If you know of any hidden gems, cool local products, or unique online events that may be a fit for the Local Love List, message me here.
Read more Local Love Lists here!