Hidden gems, cool local products, and unique events in the Edmonton area.
Here’s what’s on your Local Love List this week!
The Local Love List is published the first Friday of every month at KariSkelton.com.
Thank you for continuing to read my blog, and supporting my small business!
It was important to me to kick off this week’s Local Love List highlighting a few Asian-owned businesses and products in and around Edmonton. I support and stand in solidarity with the Stop Asian Hate movement. I’m appalled to hear hate crimes against Asian-Canadians have increased by 700% since the start of the pandemic, including horrific acts of violence targeting women of Asian descent in recent weeks. I plan to learn more and do more, but what I can do right now is highlight some local, Asian-owned shops.
- This Thai food is SO good! We’ve been ordering from here for years. I know they’re struggling a bit for business right now so it would be really awesome if you could try them out! Takeout available seven days a week from 4-9. Go here.
Hibiscus Bake Co
- Snag some yummy Asian-fusion treats at Hibiscus Bake Co. This small shop is only one month old and already comes highly recommended! Follow on Instagram here.
Stop Asian Hate Alberta
- Make sure to take some time and read this post. Local blogger and Social Media Strategist Linda Hoang featured the movement #StopAsianHateAlberta on her blog (an initiative she was also part of): a ‘collective show of solidarity, standing united with other Asians in Alberta’s food community against race-driven hate crimes’. In the post, she shares six actions you can take to denounce and eliminate race-based hate. Read here.
Kim Der Bags
- Gift idea! Be sure to check out these gorgeous handmade leather bags by local artist Kimberly Der. She also offers custom hand thrashed vintage tees. Check it all out here.
Yelo’d Ice Cream
- Yelo’d is an awesome Filipino fusion soft serve ice cream shop on Whyte Ave, run by Jason and Ailynn Wong, offering cool flavours like Ube (purple yam) and Buko (coconut). Check them out here!
More Local Love…
The Pickup Depot
- If you’re a home-based business wanting to offer curbside pickup but not at your house, this is for you! The Pickup Depot is a communal space for local home-based businesses to provide a curbside pickup option! You drop your orders off any weekday morning and your customers can pop by seven days a week to pick up! There’s a small fee (which you can absorb or pass to your customers). Check them out here.
- How beautiful are these?! Lulu Cookies are buttercream sugar cookies with abstract floral designs created by Lindsay Tobiassen.
Order online here (you can also do custom).
Quaint New Cafe
- A new hidden gem to check out in Bonnie Doon! An old house has been converted into an adorable cafe serving up yummy eats like Zuchunni Waffle Grilled Cheese and Short Rib Sandy on Ciabatta. Give Green Ash Cafe a follow on Insta here.
- The Muttart is still closed (first for renos and then because of COVID) but Culina is back open! Located inside at the Muttart front entrance with grab and go soups, sandwiches, salads, lunch/dinner entrees & locally roasted ‘Kaffa’ espresso. Check them out here.
- Today is World Autism Awareness Day so I wanted to share an amazing local account to follow for some education. The Autism Edit was created by Edmonton mom of three Kathy Heath. In 2016, one of her children was diagnosed with severe Autism Spectrum Disorder and now she’s sharing all of her resources and tips to help other families in the same position. She also has a shop with 10% of all net proceeds donated to charities that support people affected by autism. Check out theautismedit.com.
- As I’m sure you can imagine, this stuff smells SO good! Essentials By Nature (a local plant-based beauty product line) is out with Watermelon Sugar bubble bath, room and linen spray, and handsoap. Grab some here.
New Alley Patio
- Rocky Mountain Ice House has added another patio – this one in the back alley. Heated socailly-distanced seating and sometimes live music. Check them out here.
- Pura Botanicals is out with a new potion called Azure Dream Cloud. Created by Pura founder Lane Edwards and her friend Lindsay Jang (former Edmontonian turned global entrepreneur), this beautiful baby blue cream took two years to perfect. See all the fine details of what’s in it here.
New At KariSkelton.com
Mini Egg Waffles: Watch your kiddos go bananas when they see Mini Egg waffles! So easy to make, and so delicious! Get the recipe here.
Easy Cottontail Easter Tablescape: Gold chocolate bunnies, chargers from the gardening section, and the cutest way to do a cotton tail with your napkin. Here’s how to style this easy cottontail Easter tablescape! Get the how-to here.
Trifle Bowl Centrepiece: An easy and inexpensive way to beautify your brunch table. Here’s the how-to.
Healthy Chick + Bunny Breakfast Pops: Filled with yummy, go-for-you stuff your kids will love! A fun thing to make with your kids this weekend! Here’s the recipe.
Canada’s Coolest Grocery Store: Take a tour of the new Freson Bros. in Edmonton! I’ve heard it described as ‘Disneyland for adults!’ LOL! A unique food experience with innovative features that will knock your socks off. Go here to see.
Read more Local Love Lists here.
Leave a Reply