Your fresh Local Love List is filled with hidden gems, cool local product,
and unique events happening in the Edmonton area!
- I would love for you and a friend to join me at a fun, crafty night in support of a great cause! The Edmonton Fall Home Show‘s Ultimate Upcycle Challenge: A Room Reloved is happening on October 26. DIY and Lifestyle Expert Leigh-Ann Allaire Perrault is hosting this fun, private event with several local influencers and a handful of winners. We’ll be revamping old pieces of furniture to be auctioned off at the Edmonton Fall Home Show, with proceeds going to Habitat for Humanity. You’ll also get a Rust-Oleum prize pack (photo below, the actual prize may be slightly different). To enter: In the comment section at the bottom of this post, tell me how you like to get crafty! Contest closes Monday, October 22 at 10 pm MST. Winner will be announced shortly after. Good luck!
Amazing Cake + Cozy Sweaters
- Wyatt and I had a super fun date at one of our favourite local bake shops, Sugared and Spiced. Their birthday cheesecake is one of the best cakes I’ve ever had. (By the way, the Mom and Me polka dot sweaters we’re wearing are both incredibly soft and locally-made.) All the details on the cake and the sweaters are right here.
- Time to get those Christmas cards ready! (I know, I can’t believe it either.) My friend, local photographer Dallas Curow, has launched her Winter mini-portrait sessions, and they’re booking up fast! She’s opening up her studio on November 3rd and 10th for festive portraits, perfect for holiday cards. It’s $200 for a 30-minute shoot. You select five images from an online gallery (with the option to choose more if you’d like). She’s created a pastel blue winter wonderland, complete with sparkly silver confetti and a star piñata. It’s booking up fast, so get in on it today! Details here.
- Add this into your holiday events and attractions schedule: the CP Holiday Train is rolling through Edmonton on December 10th! This annual tradition travels across North America, collecting donations for local food banks. Enjoy the magic of the beautifully-decorated train along with entertainment by country music legend Terri Clark, Sierra Noble, and Kelly Prescott. All the details, including location and time here.
Burgers, Bagels, and Beers
- The deadline is looming for a Kickstarter campaign to convert a portion of the Gibbard Block (the old La Boheme restaurant space) into three cool new establishments. By spring of next year, the creators of Little Brick, Elm Cafe, District, and Salz want to open a boutique liquor store called Highlands Liquor, June’s Delicatessen (a light-fare deli) and Fox Burger, a family-friendly neighbourhood burger bar, in the space on 112 Ave in the Highlands neighbourhood. At the time of this post, they’re only a few thousand dollars away from their $100,000 campaign goal. They only have until Sunday…help them get there by donating here!
Costume Party for Kids
- Telus World of Science is hosting a day of Halloween fun on Saturday, October 27th. Your kids can dress up, watch Monster House in the IMAX Theatre, enjoy a special breakfast, and get in on all sorts of Halloween activities! Tickets and more details here.
Shop for Jeans
- This week at KariSkelton.com, I shared tips on how to find the perfect jeans for your body and budget, including a few local spots I love to shop for denim. Read it here.
I know you’ve been waiting for this. Nordstrom Rack is officially opening next week! You can start shopping on October 25th at the brand new store in South Edmonton Common.
Online Mama Tribe
- Local mom Chrissy McGale has created an online yoga and meditation course for moms and moms-to-be. The best part? The hours’ worth of practice offered each week in Yoga Mamas can be completed whenever you’re able! There will also be an in-person session at the end of week seven, which will be live-streamed for anyone who can’t attend. The sessions have actually already started, but the practices from the first two weeks will still be made available to you. It’s only $75, plus 25% off with the code YOGAMAMA. Sign up here.
- We love this new’ish artisan food market on 124th Street! Meuwly’s is the perfect stop for building a charcuterie board, picking up sausage for Saturday morning breakfast, and a whole bunch of other things. They carry several other local products as well, including Jacek Chocolate, Evoolution oils, and Red Balloon Pie Company caramels. They have a few tables set up in the back area, where you can sit and enjoy made-fresh sandwiches, soup, and coffee. Check them out at 10706 124th Street.
Freaked Out at Fort Edmonton
- Just writing about this creeps me out! ‘Dark’ runs at Fort Edmonton Park from now until October 27th. Experience three different haunts including an encounter with a cult hungry for followers, an ill-fated wedding party, and a pack of “flesh-hungry” werewolves. You must be 14 years of age to get in. Get your tickets here.
New Cocktail Spot
- The new 30-seat cocktail and wine bar in High Street is now open! Partake serves “French-inspired bites, cocktails, and a rotating wine selection”. Reviews on social media look good. Can’t wait to pop in!
Read last week’s Local Love List here.
Follow more of our local adventures here.
If you know of any hidden gems, cool local product, or unique events happening in the Edmonton area, please email me.