Hidden gems, cool local products, and unique events in the Edmonton area.
Here’s what’s on your Local Love List this week!
The Local Love List is published the first Friday of every month at KariSkelton.com.
Thank you for continuing to read my blog, and supporting my small business.
(please note: The Local Love List will be on hiatus June-August while I’m on maternity leave). Catch us back here on September 2!)
New Cocktail Spot
- Go for dim sum and cocktails at a new spot downtown called Fu’s Repair Shop. Open Thursday-Saturday (DJ Friday/Saturday) and for dim sum brunch on Sunday. 9902 109 Street.
Outdoor market season is here! Here’s a list of launch dates:
- 124 Street Grand Market: Thursdays 4-8 pm 108 and 124 street beginning May 12, Sundays 11-3 pm on 102 Avenue starting June 5 & a new location (Manchester Square) on Saturdays 11-3 starting June 4.
- Southwest Edmonton Farmer’s Market: Wednesdays from 4-730 pm, starting on May 18
- Callingwood Farmer’s Market: Now Open! Runs Sundays 10-3 and Wednesdays 12-4 until mid-October.
- St. Albert Farmer’s Market: Starting Saturday, June 11
- South Common Farmer’s Market: Kicks off tomorrow (Saturday, May 7) from 10-4
Don’t forget to check out year-round markets downtown and in Old Strathcona.
- Plum Home has revamped its famous market bag. Check out the new design below and shop it here!
Street Car Party
- Add this one to the itinerary at least once this spring or summer! Starting May 12, The Common will be back hosting its Thursday evening Street Car Cask Parties. You’ll enjoy the sunset with light food and local beer while riding the streetcar on the Highlevel Bridge. View dates here.
Last-Minute Mother’s Day Ideas
- Treat mom to Pura Botanicals Bespoke Mini Session! In this 30-minute session, she’ll work with a Pura Perfumer to create her own custom scent using Pura’s most loved essential oils, absolutes, and essences. Pop in or call Pura to set up.
- Help kids from single-mom homes treat their mama to something special this Mother’s Day with Kaleo Collective’s Love You Mama campaign. You can even make a donation in your mom’s name. This event is tomorrow and there are still a few kids on the waitlist. You can read it, donate, and get involved here.
- Order an Afternoon Tea Box from Brew and Bloom so you and mom can have high tea at home! Comes with tiers of dainty sandwiches and tiny treats. Pick up is tomorrow and Sunday. Get here.
- Get mom a seasonal delivery box of ice cream from Made by Marcus! Choose from three, six and 12-month subscriptions. Each month she’ll receive four pints plus an additional treat. Order here.
- This is something SO fun to do with family coming into town. It’s a great way to show off a big chunk of the city and Edmonton’s beautiful river valley in one afternoon. My parents and I rented e-bikes from Pedego last summer and had a blast cruising around and hitting a few local patios. You can rent by the hour, the day, or sign up for guided tours. Check rental rates here.
Meaningful Golf Tournament
- Take part in a meaningful golf tournament this June! The Real Talk Golf Classic goes down on June 23 at The Ranch Golf & Country Club in support of The Real Talk Julie Rohr Scholarship. Julie Rohr -a beloved Edmontonian and founding member of the Real Talk Editorial Board – passed away last year from an incurable cancer. The $5,000 scholarship will be awarded each year to an Edmonton post-secondary student who has lost a parent to cancer. All the details on the golf tournament here.
- Looking for something fun to do this weekend – check out North West Fest! Canada’s longest-running non-fiction film festival is on all weekend at Metro Cinema at The Garneau. Get your tickets here.
Become a KariSkelton.com Subscriber
- You’ll get the first look at exclusive new discount codes, gift guides, giveaways, and more! You’ll also get a special weekly message including new recipes I love, fun finds online, and more. Click here to subscribe for FREE (right-hand side of the page).
- Grand Dog Essentials: Our friends at Grand Dog are offering KariSkelton.com readers 10% off your first order over $50! Our dogs have been eating this made-in-Alberta raw dog food for over a year. They’re an amazing local company and unlike other raw dog foods out there, the food is cost-effective. Use the code Kari10 at checkout. Be sure to also check out their Instagram where they offer amazing tips for feeding your dog.
- Copper Spice Co.: this relatively new Edmonton-based shop makes unique handcrafted spice blends, culinary herbs, and fresh spices. The quality is amazing and the packaging is gorgeous! Use the code Kari15 for 15% off all spices, herbs, and blends at copperspiceco.com
- The LAB Studio: Get $20 off your next service at The LAB Studio just by mentioning you’re a KariSkelton.com reader! This is the best place to get your brows and lashes done. Check them out here.
New At KariSkelton.com
Vanilla Grapefruit Mocktail: This one can easily be turned into your favourite cocktail simply by adding in your favourite spirit! Being pregnant, I’ve been on the mocktail train. This is one of my favourites to sip at home.
If you know of any hidden gems, cool local products, or unique events that may be a fit for the Local Love List, message me here.
Read more Local Love Lists here.
Leave a Reply